Didn’t I say I was going to sew up a few easy things to help me get over my frustration with Anise? Ok, to be fair, Jasmine was actually very easy, but you can see from my notes that I had to make several modifications. I anticipated having to do an FBA (but 3.5″?! Ugh!), but I didn’t expect to have to do much else. As you can see, there were a couple more adjustments that needed to be made.
Based on my high bust, I cut a size 6. I don’t know if it’s because I cut such a small size, or if it’s just the way the pattern is drafted (or maybe I just have really large upper arms…), but the sleeve bands were really tiny. I added 3″ to the sleeve band, but realized that this would mean that if I didn’t adjust the arm as well I was going to lose the gathering effect. I really wanted to keep the nice gathered sleeves, so I went ahead and added 3″ to the sleeve as well by just cutting the pattern piece in half right in the middle and adding in tissue to expand by 3″. The original sleeve design has gathering stitches just at the top of the sleevehead. Because of the amount of expansion, this would mean that I’d have an extra 3″ of gathering in the sleevehead. This looked sloppy and bulky, so I extended the gathering stitches to run almost the entire length of the sleeve. This resulted in a more uniform gathering and a puffier look throughout the top of the sleeve. It’s much more along the lines of the way the sleeve should have looked prior to the adjustments I made.
One of the things I really like about this blouse is the high back. I have a tattoo on my upper back between my shoulder blades, and I work in an office and position where visible tattoos aren’t encouraged. Believe it or not, it can be a little difficult to find blouses other than standard collared button up shirts that don’t drop so low in the back as to expose my tattoo! The cut of this blouse is perfect in that regard.
Overall I really like this top! I think I may have added just a smidge too much in the FBA, so I might take that down a bit in my next version. I’d like to make one with a contrasting collar and sleeve bands, and I’m also cooking up an idea for modifying the collar in a few different ways to achieve some different looks. Another success for me with a Colette pattern! I’m planning on picking up the Beignet skirt pattern and making that soon. I’m totally sold on Colette!
In other news…..
We have a new addition to the Redd’s Threads clan!
I just brought this baby home yesterday! A Bernina Artista 200, complete with embroidery module and a bunch of extras. This girl has literally only 10:56 sewing time, and 7 minutes embroidery time. She’s practically brand new, she sews like a dream, and I got her for a song! I’ve not done any embroidery before, but I’m looking forward to playing around with it. At the price I got her for, I’ll be happy even if I never do anything more than sew garments on her.
I played around a little with some of the decorative stitches tonight, and my verdict on this machine is that she is…